News:

Welcome to the Unofficial Help Forum

Author Topic: SMF noob with some questions  (Read 9382 times)

Offline GAPO

• View Profile
SMF noob with some questions
« on: May 11, 2012, 07:11:13 PM »
Hi everyone. I have been running a free forum with Lefora for a few months now. I recently bought a domain and hosting, and with the help of a friend, installed SMF 2.0.2. It has only been up for a coupleof days. I have been feeling my way around, but still have a few questions. For example:

Are there any working integrated chat mods?

Is there a way to banish individual members to a particular subforum?

Any themes that work particularly well with mobile?

Any way to replace the leaderboard with a header of my own making?

What settings do I use to keep threads from dropping off the board after a certain period of inactivity?

Any mods that will allow the creation of a wiki?

What is the best way to increase search engine visibility?

That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure I will have a million more.

Thanks in advance. I have done some searching around the SMF forums, and have received partial answers to some of these questions, but I still wanted to get another take on it.

Offline Illori

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: SMF noob with some questions
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 07:39:03 PM »
there are many chat mods on the mod site, but most if not all will cause load issues on your server, so only use them if you require them.

do you mean to block a user from a board? if you give access to boards to the post count based groups, then no you cant deny access to a board to another normal group. if you dont give access to boards to post count based groups and only to the normal groups, you can put the user(s) in a group that only has access to the board(s) you want.

there are some mobile themes, i have not used any.

i dont know of a leaderboard, can you explain or provide a link to your forum?

what do you mean dropping off the board?

there is a bridge with mediawiki, and there is an smfwiki that is still in development

for SEO, content is king.

also if you are self hosting on a windows server, it is not recommended and it may be an issue with your isp. you should also expect your server to be hacked due to security.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:00:51 PM by Illori »

Offline GAPO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 08:00:39 PM »
Thanks for the answers you have provided. My small userbase REALLY wants chat, so I will brave the problems it can cause.

Leaderboard is probably not the right term, I just mean is there a way to install custom graphics and logos at the top of the forum index, instead of the way it comes normally?

And for stuff "dropping off the board", I thought inactive threads were purged after a period? Guess I am wrong?

I will look at mediawiki. Thanks.

Offline Illori

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 09:31:54 PM »
nothing is purged automatically at any time.

if you provide a link to your forum as i requested we can try to help you change things as you tell us exactly what you want changed and what you want it changed to.

Offline GAPO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 10:33:57 PM »

Offline Illori

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 05:54:45 AM »
and what exactly do you want changed and changed to what? just having the link does not tell us what you want done.

Offline GAPO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 02:01:11 PM »
Oh, sorry. Well, I think you have answered my questions, except for whether I can put a custom logo or graphics at the top of the board. Like if we could design our own custom logo, could we somehowhave that be at the top of our board? As far as what that graphic would be, well we haven't designed it yet.

Offline Illori

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 04:24:11 PM »
where EXACTLY would you want it? that would tell us what method to tell you to get it in that location.

Offline GAPO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
Right at the top. Sorry, I am not trying to ne difficult. I am just brand spanking new at this.....thank you.

Offline Illori

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 07:18:48 PM »
at the top does not tell us where exactly at the top. maybe you could take a screenshot and draw on it exactly where you want the logo.

Offline GAPO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 01:56:07 AM »
I will try that.

Oh, and what mod would.you recommend for embedding YouTube videos?

And.can I.upload pictures to my forum directly from my computer, or do.I have to use Photobucket or something?

Offline Illori

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 06:20:57 AM »
you can use a gallery mod like aeva, or any of the other youtube mods to embed youtube video's. a gallery mod like aeva will also allow you to upload images and other files to your server directly. or you could use a mod like download system which is similar but different. or use the attachment system.

Offline GAPO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 11:38:20 AM »
Installed the youtube mod, Photobucket and the attatchment deal have me covered for photos. Took a photo of my page, will highlight the important area and post the pic....

Offline Ermintrude

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 01:55:04 PM »
Actually, a chat mod won't increase the load, much, if you make sure it's not set to run in "Real Time".

Offline Illori

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 05:46:24 PM »
then why have a chat mod if it is not run in real time? shout boxes can be set that way but not chat mods.

anything