News:

Welcome to the Unofficial Help Forum

Author Topic: SMF's backup crap.  (Read 6889 times)

Offline Ermintrude

• View Profile
SMF's backup crap.
« on: April 23, 2012, 03:44:31 PM »
I've been banging-on about getting rid of the pathetic backup thing in SMF's admin panel.

Although it'd be best, obviously, if they released a patch to get rid of it, I'm wondering how much of a piece of Greek bread it'd be to create a mod, to do that.

Pain in the chuffer?

Offline Arantor

• Team Member
    • View Profile
Re: SMF's backup crap.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 03:48:38 PM »
It needs to be totally rewritten in order to work properly, and honestly, there are better tools out there than SMF to do so, including things like BigDump which can not only get it correct, it can also avoiding breaking on the different character sets, and also avoid timeouts.

I'd suggest just removing it and instead using better tools, personally.

Offline Ermintrude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 03:51:05 PM »
Exactly. But, could a mod remove it?

Or, would writing that just not be worth the bother?

(I'm not gonna ask you to do it, obviously) ;)

Offline Sully

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 03:51:14 PM »
Meh, actually, the most accurate way of dumping and backing up data is by using Shell. Obviously not everyone can do that, but BigDump does have some problems with large databases with foreign character sets.

There is actually a modification I heard about, that is waiting to be approved in the queue that is called "Database Backup" that provides a stronger method for backing up the database.

Offline Arantor

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 03:54:42 PM »
Using shell? Presumably you mean to invoke one of the tools written by MySQL to actually perform a backup?

I've never heard of anyone having trouble with BigDump, though all the times I've used it, it's always been against ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8, with various contents.

Offline Sully

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 03:56:09 PM »
Correct. And I've used it many times before without any problems, but I've also encountered issues with different encodings.