News:

Welcome to the Unofficial Help Forum

Author Topic: canonical url  (Read 12811 times)

Offline shubh

• View Profile
canonical url
« on: April 21, 2012, 02:18:33 PM »
Hello,
I have check the website with the different seo software .Everywhere canonical error is there.You can also try , try to make sitemap of this forum with canonical tag,you are unable to make.
No words left

Offline Illori

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: canonical url
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 02:59:05 PM »
what exact error? also most of the SEO stuff is useless your forum will get picked up anyway if you do nothing.

Offline shubh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 03:29:47 PM »
I did not find the error but this suggestion has provide to me by the most of the seo.

Problem-
Canonical URL
    "http://www.xxxxx/index.php"

Explanation
    If the canonical tag is pointing to a different URL, engines will not count this page as the reference resource and thus, it won't have an opportunity to rank. Make sure you're targeting the right page (if this isn't it, you can reset the target above) and then change the canonical tag to reference that URL.

Recommendation
    We check to make sure that IF you use canonical URL tags, it points to the right page. If the canonical tag points to a different URL, engines will not count this page as the reference resource and thus, it won't have an opportunity to rank. If you've not made this page the rel=canonical target, change the reference to this URL. NOTE: For pages not employing canonical URL tags, this factor does not apply.
No words left

Offline shubh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 03:33:05 PM »
Search engine takes the

smfhelp.com
or
www.smfhelp.com
or
www.smfhelp.com/index.php

are different. I have solve one problem by redirect.But the another problem is canonical not redirect. 301 and canonical are different.
No words left

Offline Illori

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 04:07:36 PM »
i have not seen that issue, and IMO it is a waste of time to try to fix it, the search engines are smart enough to know what url to use.

also the url you posted there is not the url to this forum.

Offline Ermintrude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 04:19:34 PM »
Just a point, here...

If you want search-engines to find you and they're finding you twice... Surely, that's a good thing, is it not?

I really don't see what the problem is.

If someone types smfhelp.com and such a site doesn't exist, browsers automatically try adding the www. anyway.

SEO stuff is a con. If search-engines have access to your site, they'll access it, whether you have SEO stuff on your site, or not.

There's only one way to get higher on the search pages and that's to have people clicking on your links, there.

I repeat: SEO IS A CON!

Offline shubh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 10:06:19 PM »
SEO are good. I am on the first page, some rank go down to third page due to duplicate.
i have not seen that issue, and IMO it is a waste of time to try to fix it, the search engines are smart enough to know what url to use.

also the url you posted there is not the url to this forum.

Check with the any seo software like SEOMOZ etc .You will catch my point.
No words left

Offline Illori

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 06:27:27 AM »
nope, it does not make any difference, i have done nothing about SEO and for certain terms i am on the first page already on google. just let things happen. if you want help with SEO go elsewhere as you will not get further help with it here.

Offline Arantor

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 03:33:12 PM »
There is actually a bug in SMF where the canonical URL also gets the PHPSESSID in it.

This *should* fix it, by editing QueryString.php
Code: (find) [Select]
$buffer = preg_replace('/"' . preg_quote($scripturl, '/') . '(?!\?' . preg_quote(SID, '/') . ')\\??/', '"' . $scripturl . '?' . SID . '&', $buffer);
Code: (replace) [Select]
$buffer = preg_replace('/(?<!<link rel="canonical" href=")' . preg_quote($scripturl, '/') . '(?!\?' . preg_quote(SID, '/') . ')\\??/', '"' . $scripturl . '?' . SID . '&amp;', $buffer);

Offline Ermintrude

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 03:37:08 PM »
'allo, Alestes!

'ow ya doin' , matey?

Offline Arantor

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 03:40:17 PM »
Hey Ermintrude :) Doing... um... OK. Figured I could lend a hand around here in the meantime ;)

Offline Ermintrude

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 03:44:42 PM »
I have a small idea, if you're curious.

http://smfhelp.org/index.php?topic=18.msg49#msg49

Offline shubh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 07:40:43 AM »
There is actually a bug in SMF where the canonical URL also gets the PHPSESSID in it.

This *should* fix it, by editing QueryString.php
Code: (find) [Select]
$buffer = preg_replace('/"' . preg_quote($scripturl, '/') . '(?!\?' . preg_quote(SID, '/') . ')\\??/', '"' . $scripturl . '?' . SID . '&amp;', $buffer);
Code: (replace) [Select]
$buffer = preg_replace('/(?<!<link rel="canonical" href=")' . preg_quote($scripturl, '/') . '(?!\?' . preg_quote(SID, '/') . ')\\??/', '"' . $scripturl . '?' . SID . '&amp;', $buffer);

Still the problem not solve ,try to create the sitemap with canonical url.
No words left

Offline Arantor

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 07:45:04 AM »
That would imply you have other configuration problems that you haven't explained, that code is working on my site and makes threads etc. have the right canonical URLs even for search engines.

I don't know how you're trying to make a sitemap, there are at least two mods for that for SMF.

Offline shubh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 11:10:48 AM »
This message i got ......
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 11:15:04 AM by shubh »
No words left

anything