News:

Welcome to the Unofficial Help Forum

Author Topic: Taken over previous hosting for forum, but need help re-installing things.  (Read 2330 times)

Offline TomeGods

• View Profile
Hi there, I'm an admin on a writing forum called Tome City. Basically I took over the reigns along with my partner as the previous admin disappeared for some reason and the forum fell into dis-repair, and then eventually the whole domain name was taken over.

After a short while I purchased a domain name similar to the previous one, and I was able to get the basic SMF forum set up with the outlines of the old site.

Obviously as I wasn't a moderator or whatever on the previous site, I have no idea what features I need to include back on the site to have it back the way it was before it went down.

There's things like custom message icons I've recently found out about that I need to get back, but there's other things;
- like the board and thread names on the home page are all different colours.
- A recent topic's thread placed on the left hand side.
- The shoutbox being placed at the bottom of the page.
And other small details too.

You can view the original Tome City (by the previous moderator) here: 'Tome City' by 'Overlord'

And the Newer version here: 'New Tome City' by 'New Overlord', 'New Overseer' and 'New Overdragon'

It would really help me out if anyone was able to help me out with this.  ???

Thanks in advance  :).

Offline Illori

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Taken over previous hosting for forum, but need help re-installing things.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 05:48:55 AM »
some of the colors in the theme are because of a custom image file.

http://web.archive.org/web/20111116010200/http://tomecity.com/smf/Themes/default/images/theme/main_block.png

the colors on each board name, seems to be custom coding in the boardindex.template.php. i am not sure it is worth the effort to do that.

for the side bar, simple portal was installed, but any portal mod can do that.

the shoutbox was a mod, i think it may just be a part of the portal. most of the portals have a shoutbox.

Enotify by CreateAForum.com
do be aware that this mod you installed can cause issues with your server load and may need to be uninstalled if your forum starts to get slow.

if you want someone to do these things for you, then you should look for paid help.

Offline TomeGods

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 06:44:55 AM »
Thanks for your reply Illori, I just tried to install Simple Portal on a test forum I have. (It means that I can make sure all the mods will work okay before I install them on the forum itself.)

I managed to install the shoutbox and recent topics okay, but I was wondering about the recent chapters.
Basically, when a member would post up a new reply, there was an option to select it as a 'chapter' which would then update the box on the left. So then, if someone wanted to read the story with the most updated 'chapter' they could click on that instead.
I think the old Admin said it was part of a custom job, but does anyone have any ideas of possible ways to do this? If not it's okay.

I'll probably add all the hyperlinks in colour later like you suggested, for now I want to try and install the features that won't take that long to do or are easier and don't require going 'behind the scenes' of the website too much.

One last thing, I can't figure out how to lengthen the top section of the website to include the logo I included. Behind the Tome City logo the blue cuts in two, it looks really strange and I can't figure out how to fix it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 08:26:18 AM by TomeGods »

Offline Illori

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 04:41:39 PM »
the top section is an image, you will need to modify the image to be as you wish.

the chapter thing sounds like custom coding, i cant help you with that.

anything