News:

Welcome to the Unofficial Help Forum

Author Topic: How to get aroud the FTP file limit?  (Read 4654 times)

Offline jjfeenix

• View Profile
How to get aroud the FTP file limit?
« on: August 03, 2012, 11:57:52 AM »
I recently moved hosts and had the new host company copy all the files for my website and SMF 1.1.16 forum. I ended up with lots of missing images and avatars.

I thought they were corrupted by the ASCII rather than Binary transfer default, but not so. As it turns out, it looks like there are supposed to be over 29,000 files in the Attachments directory, but there are only 1998 files after the transfer. Research lead me to the 2000 file limit on FTP. And looking closer at my WS-FTP log it says the Output was truncated to 2000 files.

OK, how are others dealing with this limit? Right now, I'm downloading the old host Attachment directory in batches of 2000 files. This means I'll have to delete the batch that I download in order to "list" and DL the next batch. I don't really like the deletion of the original files, but can't see any other solution.

Thanks for suggestions,
JohnS

Offline Illori

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How to get aroud the FTP file limit?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 08:08:52 AM »
who was your old host and who is your new host? do they have cpanel? how did you transfer the files from the old host to the new host?

it looks like this 2000 file limit is set by the host on their ftp server, can you ask them to change it?

i have not seen this limit myself as i dont use attachments normally and the mods i do use to manage them dont have anywhere close to 2000 files in a folder. also i dont think my host has this limit enabled.

Offline jjfeenix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 08:47:01 AM »
Illori:

Thanks for your reply!

who was your old host and who is your new host?
Old=Site5 (never do business with them!) New=Network Solutions.

do they have cpanel? how did you transfer the files from the old host to the new host?
I didn't transfer the files. I paid Network Solutions extra to do it for me. They apparently hit this same snag and didn't know about it either.

it looks like this 2000 file limit is set by the host on their ftp server, can you ask them to change it?
Yes, it does appear to be a host specific setting, as I can see all the files I've transferred to NetSol using the same FTP programs. Too late to ask Site5 to change it. I DLed and ULed all the files myself, using the "batch" technique I described in my original post.

There ended up being 41,826 attachment and avatar files! The whole process probably took 12 hrs. from Fri. to Mon. I tried using a number of FTP apps: FileZilla, WST_FTP and FireFTP for Firefox. Filezilla would be my choice. Towards the end, I was using FileZilla to DL from the old host and WS_FTP to simultaneously UL to the new host. Once the DLs were done, I used FileZilla exclusively to UL. NOTE: make sure you set each programs preference to Binary transfer, not ASCII.

For the record, the FTP file managers in each of the hosts' Control panels are very slow and prone to break with a huge number of files to display listings.

i have not seen this limit myself as i dont use attachments normally and the mods i do use to manage them dont have anywhere close to 2000 files in a folder. also i dont think my host has this limit enabled.

You probably wouldn't even know you had the limit. The FTP programs only showed me 1996 files each time I viewed the Attachments directory. Until I deleted the first 1996, I didn't even know I had more files. I was totally shocked to find the total number was over 41,000!

All is well now. The files are displaying fine on the server.

I hope that my experience and longwinded explanation will be of help to someone else in the future.

Offline Illori

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 05:27:08 PM »
well it looks like you picked an oversold host to move to, no wonder they charged you to transfer your files. a decent non-oversold host would not charge you to move your files given you had a cpanel at your old host.

anything